Time: 10 minutes
The Phone rang on the wall. It was a black rotary phone that hadn’t worked in years, and the sound of the bell inside autably startled Jestine as she sat at the counter of the bookstore checkout desk.
It was a slow night and she would have closed earlier had it not been for the book she was engrossed in; a murdur mystery where the detective (would be) was making his way in to the basement where the killer was lurking. Of course the would be detective had no idea that somewhere in the darkness, the killer’s knife waited ready to strike. Thats when the phone rang.
She nearly fell from her chair before she realized it was not the knife of the killer or the sound of a sudden struggle. She closed the book and queerly went to the wall mounted antique.
She looked over it’s glossy black plastic surface and wondered how someone might have come by the number for it. It was a seperate landline, a private landline that she was told would only ring if a particular customer had a query.
Thompson P. Hopkins. Eccentric millionaire and entrapenur.
She hesitated a moment before picking up the reciever what could he want?
Never before had she had to answer the mysterious phone never mind talk to the even more mysterious client, but in the vein of her murder mystery, she let her curiosity play out and picked up the receiver
“Hello?” she said meekly
“Yes, dear, this is Hopkins. I understand you have a vast selection of antique books, I’m looking for one in particular.” came the raspy voice of none other than Thompson, “I’m looking for the Jewel and The Mothball”
She thought for a moment, “Yes. I’m reading it now.” She said.
“Oh good. The killer is in the room with the detective, but does not succeed in his attempt. Goodby”
Jestine stood there with the phone a long moment after hearing the sound of the receiver clattering against the base on the other end.
It ruined the mystery of her story, but a chill crept down her spine.
How did he know?
1. Open a blank Document
2. Set a stop watch or your mobile phone timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever challenge you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds!
5. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
6. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals.
7. At the end of your post write down ‘No. of words = ____” to give an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
8. Do not forget to copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new topic for your nominees and copy paste these rules with your nomination (at least five (5) bloggers).
New word: Window